If you click on a link in this article, we may earn affiliate revenue
ALL eyes were on the royal coronation on Saturday, and one surprisingly star of the show was leader of the House of Commons Penny Mordaunt.
The Tory MP was tasked with being the “operative word” and had to carry a large ornate sword around Westminster Abbey – and her coronation outfit has been praised by royal fans.
- Roni Poseidon Midi Dress, £1,195 from Safiyaa – buy now
Former Splash contestant Penny wore a beautiful, commissioned, teal dress from London based label Safiyaa, and finished off the look with a hat from the milliner Jane Taylor.
Both items featured a fern motif embroidered by the atelier Hand & Lock.
Penny was praised for how she handled the huge sword – the Jewelled Sword of Offering – which had a hilt encrusted with diamonds, rubies and emeralds.
But many gushed over her coronation look and wanted to buy a replica for themselves.
Rylan even tweeted Penny asking if he could borrow it for Eurovision.
While a similar dress from Safiyaa will set you back £1,195, there are more affordable options on the market.
Here are some of the best dupes to snap up…
- Unity Notched Neckline Pleated Hem Dress, £16.99 from Shein – buy now
- Y.A.S exclusive long sleeve wrap midi dress in teal, £65 from Asos – buy now
- Tailored high neck split sleeve midi dress, £22.50 from Boohoo – buy now
- ASOS DESIGN high neck shoulder pad twist front midi dress in forest green, £32.20 from Asos – buy now
- Bottle green V-neck ruched midi dress with cape, £65 from Club L London – buy now
Penny’s role at the coronation was to represent the Commons (i.e. the people), and the sword she held represents the power that the Commons holds.
This was why Penny was tasked with keeping the sword upright all through the service for King Charles.
In 2014, Penny appeared on the reality TV programme Splash!
Penny came ninth on the show out of 20 contestants, the winner was Diversity dancer Perri Kiely.
The show was axed after two seasons.
Camilla, 75, and Charles, 74, were cheered by thousands of royal fans to ring in his new reign as King.
Prince William, Princess Kate and their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis joined the monarch.
Charles and Camilla returned to the Palace in the 260-year-old Gold State Coach in scenes similar to his mother’s coronation.
Famously uncomfortable, the four tonne gilded coach is suspended on leather straps and can only be pulled by eight horses.
The Queen used the carriage for both her processions and later described the bumpy ride as “horrible”.
A whopping 4,000 members of the Armed Forces including 416 from the Commonwealth and British Overseas Territories guided the new King and Queen back to the Palace.
Music was provided by 19 military bands marching in an exact rhythm in a massive ceremonial operation not seen since the Queen’s coronation.
The impressive procession followed a coronation service attended by world leaders, celebs and royals this morning at Westminster Abbey.
Smoke filled the air around Horse Guards Parade as a six gun salute rang out at the exact moment the St Edward’s Crown was placed on Charles’ head.
Thousands of royal fans camped outside cheered “God Save the King!” amid a fanfare of trumpets.
Prince William also pledged allegiance to his dad, saying: “I, William, Prince of Wales, pledge my loyalty to you, and faith and truth I will bear unto you, as your liege man of life and limb. So help me God.”
Over the years, the King has expressed a desire to thrust the royal family into the modern age, which was reflected in today’s service.
Charles shunned the extravagant trappings of wealth seen in his own mother’s £1.57million ceremony as he moved towards a stripped-back monarchy.
- All the Hidden Details of Queen Camilla's Coronation Outfit
- How King Charles III Broke With Royal Tradition and Made His Coronation Outfit His Own
- Furniture in Fashion: Your One-Stop Shop for Modern and Affordable Home Furniture in the UK
- From A Black Sheer Dress To A Mini Blue One She Nails It All!
- Brunette outfit at Eurovision 2023 opening ceremony inspired by Mother Armenia monument of Yerevan (PHOTOS)