Would you love to reinvigorate your everyday look with hardly any effort at all? Let me introduce you to one of this year’s most simple and versatile trends — the neckerchief.
Although small in size, this accessory packs a big punch, simply because it’s not something you see every day. Despite having several surges in popularity since its original debut, the neckerchief has never become a wardrobe staple — and ironically, that’s exactly what makes it so special now that it’s on the upswing in 2024. Combining the practical with a sense of fun and flair, a neckerchief lends itself to seamless incorporation into any wardrobe. If you’re ready to give this trend a go, here’s everything you need to know about folding, tying and selecting a print to match your look.
Basic Neckerchief Folds & Knots
One aspect of the neckerchief trend that I find especially fun is how customizable they are. Between the various folding methods and knot styles, there are many different looks that you can achieve with just a single silk scarf. For example, a front-facing triangle fold is sure to bring out your wild (western) side, while a tightly rolled neckerchief finished with a simple square knot can feel more Parisian-chic. Here are three popular folding methods that you can experiment with to find the look that most speaks to you.
How to Tie a Square Knot
If there’s only one thing you learn about styling a neckerchief, it should be how to tie a square knot. This simple knot style leaves the tails of your neck scarf hanging just right and is as easy to tie as it is to untie. Just remember right over left, left over right.
Neckerchiefs come in hundreds of different patterns and prints which can make it difficult to choose just one. If you’re not sure which direction to go, but you know you want to nail the look, here are a few of this season’s most popular prints.
• Reimagined animal print: Abstract, re-colored, or enlarged versions of the original.
• Artistic Florals: Think watercolor and other soft, painted florals.
• Paisley: Both vintage designs and modern takes on the original are in-style.
• Plaid: Especially tartan if you can find it.
• Sheer Fabrics: You won’t go wrong with delicate, feminine, see-through styles.
Other Ways to Style a Neckerchief
Are you someone who appreciates versatility? Then a neckerchief is the perfect accessory for you. Neckerchiefs can be styled in many different ways. Here are a few common options that I’ve seen, but I’m sure there are even more ways:
• Head: head wrap or head band
• Wrist: wear it as a bracelet
• Waist: belt it
• Purse: Tie it on your bag as an accessory or purse strap
• Shirt: If you have a large neckerchief, you could wear it as a shirt (triangle in the front, tie in the back)
Quiz: What’s Your Neckerchief Style?
1. A friend asks you to grab breakfast at Prince Street Café, what do you wear?
a. Whatever I woke up in.
b. Black leggings and my cute new sweater.
c. Patchwork jeans, a designer crop top, and trending mesh flats.
2. You’re throwing a party, the theme is:
a. There is no “theme”…just come over.
b. Wine and beer tasting.
c. Downton Abbey: It’s a tea party!
3. What’s your dream vacation?
a. Renting a remote cabin in the woods and hiking every day.
b. San Francisco: Eating great food and exploring the city.
c. Fashion week in Paris: I can finally break out my boldest looks!
4. You’ve just been invited to a gala, what will you wear?
a. Why are we planning so far ahead?
b. I have a few dress options, but I’d like to buy something new.
c. An ensemble that makes a statement! I’ll need to check the latest trend report.
Mostly A’s: Paisley Cotton Bandana Neckerchief
This classic no-frills look is the perfect neckerchief for you! There’s no need to fuss over making the perfect square knot or bow when you’re sporting this casual look. You wouldn’t have time for all that anyway because you’re busy living in the moment.
Mostly B’s: Patterned Silk Neckerchief
Sure, you love lounging around in your pajamas as much as the next person, but you also look forward to opportunities when you can dress up and show off your stylish side! For you, a silk neckerchief with an interesting pattern is the perfect accessory to add to your already fashion-forward wardrobe.
Mostly C’s: Any Material Neckerchief, Worn Boldly:
For you, fashion is an expression of your boundless creativity. You love trying new looks as much as you love curating your own interpretation of them. I’d tell you to experiment with interesting neckerchief knots, enlarged bows, and cowboy styles, but you’ve probably already done that.
To read more Balance stories, click here.
- All the Hidden Details of Queen Camilla's Coronation Outfit
- How King Charles III Broke With Royal Tradition and Made His Coronation Outfit His Own
- Furniture in Fashion: Your One-Stop Shop for Modern and Affordable Home Furniture in the UK
- From A Black Sheer Dress To A Mini Blue One She Nails It All!
- Brunette outfit at Eurovision 2023 opening ceremony inspired by Mother Armenia monument of Yerevan (PHOTOS)